Disko Bay – The Heart of Greenland (Itinerary 1)
Duration: 16 days
$ 10766 per person
- Discover and explore the western coast of Greenland around Disko Bay
- Have your breath taken away by the Arctic scenery of icebergs and glaciers
- Meet the welcoming people of Greenland and learn about Inuit culture
- Visit the stunning Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Reykjavik is the northernmost capital city in the world. The name means 'Smokey Bay', so called because of the columns of steam that rise from the many hot springs in the area. It is well worth booking a Pre-Programme to explore the surrounding geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths before embarking MS Fridtjof Nansen.
We leave Iceland behind and sail across the Irminger Sea. This is the same crossing that was used by the Vikings to migrate from Iceland to Greenland some 1,000 years ago.
Enjoy introductory lectures on local history and biology for insights into the upcoming destinations.
Many consider Qaqortoq one of the most beautiful towns in Greenland for its colourful houses and photogenic setting. It is the biggest town in South Greenland, with some 3,000 inhabitants, but still easy to explore on foot. You can also join one of our excursions to get even more insight into local culture.
IncludedQaqortoq - Great Lake WalkQaqortoq rises quite steeply over the surrounding fjord system and is best discovered on foot, which says something about its small size
Qaqortoq - KaffemikTake part in a traditional Greenlandic kaffemik, where a local family serves a large selection of specialty food dishes. And of course, a pot of coffee. This is an authentic experience, which lets you learn more about living like a Greenlander.
Great Greenland TanneryVisit Great Greenland, the only tannery in Greenland, and see how hides and furs are processed. You will also learn about the old hunting traditions, which are an important part of Greenlandic culture.
We discover the beautiful region of Paamiut by sailing deep into Kvanefjord. Our experienced captain and Expedition Leader will take advantage of the current weather and ice conditions to identify our activity for the day. This could be a hike ashore for a scenic view of the area, or possibly small-boat cruising or kayaking.
Maniitsoq was founded in 1755 and its name means `The Uneven Place´, referring to the rocky hills and mountains shaping the layout of the town. It is also known as the `Venice of Greenland´ as it is situated in an archipelago, intersected by natural canals. The local museum charts the town´s rich history and culture.
Sisimiut is situated 40 km north of the Arctic Circle. The name means `The People Living in a Place of Fox Dens´. This is the second largest town in Greenland, a modern, picturesque settlement that maintains ancient traditions. We offer a variety of exciting excursions to discover the many things to do in Sisimiut.
IncludedSisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visitSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
City tour by busIf you want to comfortably experience all of Sisimiut in a short amount of time, this sightseeing tour by bus is the perfect excursion for you.
Sisimiut Town WalkSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
Hike to Palasip QaqqaaJoin a challenging summit hike and be rewarded with an amazing panoramic view!
Ilulissat is set in the stunning scenery of the Ilulissat Icefjord UNESCO World Heritage Site. At the mouth of the fjord you can see enormous icebergs that have run aground. These ice masses originate from the Jakobshavn Glacier, one of the fastest-moving glaciers in the world. Join one of our many excursions here.
IncludedIlulissat - Walk to the IcefjordsHear the ice cracking in the distance?
Ilulissat - Boat trip to the Ice FjordIlulissat is renowned for its beautiful and breathtaking Ice Fjord - best experienced from a boat. Get close to nature and experience the ice that leaves visitors speechless in wonder.
Ilulissat - Hike to Holms BakkeHike through spectacular surroundings as we take you to Holms Bakke – a traditional hiking trip for locals. Experience Inuit culture, see incredible icebergs and learn about local flora and fauna.
We now arrive at the northernmost point in our itinerary. There are several excellent landing sites in Vaigat Sound offering breathtaking landscape and Arctic flora. Our experienced captain and Expedition Leader will take advantage of the current weather and ice conditions to identify our activity for the day.
On one side of the meandering Evighed Fjord is an ice cap that often crashes massive chunks of ice into the water. Around us are the highest mountains in West Greenland with peaks, up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft.) in height, sometimes swirling with mist. Conditions on the day will determine the final programme and the range of activities on offer by the Expedition Team.
Nuuk is situated at the mouth of one of the most spectacular fjord systems in the world. The capital city is where old and new traditions meet, from historic buildings in `Kolonihavnen´ to the modern Centre for Greenland Self Rule. Another feature is the National Museum - home to the famous mummies of Qilakitsoq.
IncludedNuuk - Shuttle & Museum visitVisit the National Museum of Greenland
Cultural history walkDon’t miss this opportunity to see some of the most interesting places in Greenland´s capital city of Nuuk! Join a sightseeing tour of the town before you visit the National Museum, providing a glimpse into Greenland’s interesting past.
Nuuk City tourExplore Greenland´s interesting capital city by coach! Nuuk is a cosmopolitan town in the high Arctic, offering you both beautiful nature and an urban vibe.
According to archaeologists, Vikings settled in this area more than a thousand years ago but didn’t remain. Ivittuut is believed to be the last Norse settlement in Greenland, but first to be abandoned. Nowadays, the only inhabitants that might appear in the town are wandering muskoxen which normally graze in the nearby plains.
This long fjord is surrounded by mountains that reach over 1,200 metres (3,900 ft), and up to 2,220 metres (7,280 ft) high. Many glaciers go straight into its waters where they calve icebergs of all shapes, shades, and sizes. If the channel is blocked with ice, we will sail around Nunap Isua (Cape Farewell) instead.
After exploring exhilarating Greenland, we set course back to Iceland. Spend the days at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science Center or just relaxing on deck, looking at the sea birds which follow our ship or maybe even spotting whales.
You arrive back in the Icelandic capital early in the morning. If you want to explore more of the country, add one of our Post-Programmes before you head home, or simply extend your stay to enjoy the trendy city and its surrounding geothermal features.
Included in your voyage
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Qaqortoq - Great Lake Walk
Qaqortoq - Kaffemik
Qaqortoq - Great Greenland Tannery
Sisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visit
Sisimiut - City tour by bus
Sisimiut Town Walk
Sisimiut - Hike to Palasip Qaqqaa
Ilulissat - Walk to the Icefjords
Ilulissat - Boat trip to the Icefjord
Ilulissat - Hike to Holms Bakke
Nuuk - Shuttle & Museum visit
Nuuk - Cultural history walk
Nuuk - Nuuk City tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Reykjavik Pre-programme: Golden Circle Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Reykjavik Post-programme: South Coast (20/21 and 21/22)
The Icelandic Highlands: Pre-Programme for Nature Lovers (20/21 and 21/22)
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board