Join us as we attempt a full circumnavigation of Spitsbergen, taking in mighty glaciers, peaceful fjords and arctic wildlife under the enchanting midnight sun.
Last Frontier to the North Pole
After an evening flight from Oslo, your expedition starts in Longyearbyen, the town on top of the world. Get a taste of what it feels like to live this far north of the world as you meet the ingenious, resilient and conscientious residents of this unique town. From here, we traverse the stunning terrain of North West Spitsbergen National Park. Explore picturesque fjords, steep mountains and beautiful offshore islands while sweeping the landscape for wildlife.
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears in the archipelago. Hopefully, over our three-day exploration of Spitsbergen’s eastern seaboard, you’ll spot one or more of these apex predators. The bird cliffs in the region also make bird watching a rewarding activity. Svalbard is home to a wide variety of seabirds including thousands of Brünnich’s Guillemots, gulls and kittiwakes.
Prepare to explore the wonderfully varied landscape and geology of Hornsund. The rugged, steep mountains, stunning fjords, and rich, colourful vegetation make it one of the world’s most scenic natural corners. After exploring this area, we’ll sail north towards the Isfjord before concluding your expedition in Longyearbyen.
Our Svalbard Attempts are expeditions where we, in true expedition style, challenge the elements and the ice-edge of the Arctic Ocean, to circumnavigate this remote archipelago – in a safe way. Several alternative routes combined with our deep knowledge of the area and flexibility are key factors to giving you the most amazing experience. And if we really manage to circumnavigate Svalbard, it will be one for the books.
Day 1Oslo / Longyearbyen
From 59º N to 78º N
The Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic
Day 3-4North West Spitsbergen National Park
Exploring Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History
Day 5-7Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Enjoy Expedition Days in the Arctic
Day 8South Spitsbergen National Park and the area of Bellsund
The Expedition Continues
Day 9The Isfjord
Day 10Longyearbyen / Oslo
End of the Expedition
Current offers on this cruise:
New SeasonLife changing experiences start here. Discover our new itineraries for 2022 and 2023.Explore more
Included in your voyage
- Return flights in economy class between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- Overnight in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests (on MS Fram only)
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Please note there is very limited Wi-Fi and phone signal in the remote areas we travel to and streaming is not supported. When in Svalbard, there is no Wi-Fi or mobile coverage except in Longyearbyen or Barentsburg.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
• Range of included activities
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna and indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please make sure you meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities expected
Photo: Lise Dreistel and Genna Roland
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.