Circumnavigating Svalbard – The Ultimate Expedition
- The ultimate Svalbard expedition cruise
- Circumnavigate the entire island
- Great chance of sighting polar bears
- Enjoy the pristine wilderness of the Arctic
Before your evening flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, spend the day in the museums, parks and cafes of the Norwegian capital. When you arrive in Svalbard, you will discover an entirely different world: a tiny town perched on the edge of the vast Arctic tundra.
On arrival, we transfer you to your hotel for an overnight.
After an overnight stay join an excursion to get to know this unique town after lunch. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen maintains a lively cultural life and serves as a prime destination for adventure travellers. Enjoy the atmosphere of this colourful frontier outpost before boarding MS Spitsbergen in the afternoon.
The North West Corner is scattered with lovely islands, fjords and beaches. If conditions allow, we will explore Svalbard’s rich history in the area. We may visit Kongsfjorden, one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, with mighty glaciers calving icebergs into the sea, framed by stunning mountain formations.
We hope to call on the former mining settlement of Ny-Ålesund, now an international centre for research, with a picturesque mix of old and new buildings. There will be exciting landings and scenic kayaking opportunities as we go further north.
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears on the archipelago – and we have high hopes of spotting one on this journey! The ocean is full of drifting ice and the frozen landscape changes constantly. This is true wilderness, so the captain will work with the elements to decide where we can safely land or sail.
We aim to cross 80º N, and possibly head even further north to Sjuøyane (Seven Islands), at the extreme of the Svalbard archipelago. We may also sail east of Nordaustlandet to Kvitøya, before continuing towards Edgeøya, the third-largest island in the Svalbard archipelago.
We make our way to the southern cape and the southernmost tip of Spitsbergen, where Hornsund hosts a wonderfully varied landscape and geology. Ice pushed into the fjord early in the season attracts polar bears that hunt on the floes, so with a bit of luck, we may spot some of these magnificent predators
We will spend the day exploring the Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard. In the inner parts of Isfjorden, the landscape changes constantly. The immense U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by the giant glaciers that covered the area some ten thousand years ago, are home to large populations of the Svalbard reindeer.
Our return to the colourful town of Longyearbyen marks the end of a remarkable voyage that brought us just a few hundred miles from the Geographical North Pole. A transfer vehicle will take you to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- Return economy flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyagesdesigned to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.