Join us as we attempt a full circumnavigation of Svalbard, taking in mighty glaciers, peaceful fjords and Arctic wildlife.
Last Frontier before the North Pole
Your expedition starts in Longyearbyen, the town on top of the world. Chalk of your list of things you can do in the world's northernmost town. From here, we embark on our epic circumnavigation of the Svalbard archipelago, starting with North West Spitsbergen National Park. Explore picturesque fjords, steep mountains and beautiful offshore islands while sweeping the landscape for wildlife.
Be aware that most places in Svalbard don’t have mobile phone coverage. So, take advantage of this opportunity for a digital detox and enjoy being in the moment and the serenity of this wondrous archipelago!
Looking out for bears and birds
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears in the archipelago. Over our three-day exploration of Spitsbergen’s eastern seaboard, we’ll be on the lookout for these iconic but shy predators. The cliffs in this region attract huge numbers of birds, with Svalbard being home to a wide variety including thousands of Brünnich’s Guillemots, gulls and Kittiwakes.
Awe inspiring scenery
Prepare to explore the majestic landscape and geology of Hornsund. The rugged mountains and breathtaking fjords here make for some of Svalbard’s most scenic panoramas. After exploring this area, we’ll sail north towards the Isfjord before concluding our expedition cruise in Longyearbyen.
Our Svalbard Attempts are expeditions where we, in true expedition style, challenge the elements and the ice-edge of the Arctic Ocean, to circumnavigate this remote archipelago – in a safe way. Several alternative routes combined with our deep knowledge of the area and flexibility are key factors to giving you the most amazing experience. And if we really manage to circumnavigate Svalbard, it will be one for the books.
Day 1Oslo/Longyearbyen - Hotel
From 59º N to 78º N
The Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic
Day 3-5North West Spitsbergen National Park
Exploring Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History
Day 6-8Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Enjoy Expedition Days in the Arctic
Day 9-10South Spitsbergen National Park and the area of Bellsund
The Expedition Continues
Day 11The Isfjord
End of the Expedition
Current offers on this cruise:
Book with confidence on all 2022 departuresWe have relaxed our booking conditions to give you confidence, peace of mind and security in this uncertain time due to Covid.Read more and book
New SeasonLife changing experiences start here. Discover our new itineraries for 2023 and 2024.Read more and book
Included in your voyage
- Return flights in economy class between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- Overnight in Longyearbyen before the expedition cruise, including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the expedition cruise
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests (on MS Fram only)
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Please note there is very limited Wi-Fi and phone signal in the remote areas we travel to and streaming is not supported. When in Svalbard, there is no Wi-Fi or mobile coverage except in Longyearbyen or Barentsburg.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included activities
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna and indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please make sure you meet all entry and boarding requirements
- No gratuities expected
|Year of refurbishment||2022|
|Passenger capacity||250 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
|Year of refurbishment||2016|
|Shipyard||Estaleiro Navais de Viana do Castelo (POR)|
Our new ship, MS Spitsbergen will take you on a voyage beyond the ordinary.