- City tours of Oslo, Bergen, Helsinki and Talinn
- Husky and reindeer experiences
- The Northern Lights
- Insight into Sami culture
Current offers on this cruise:
Northern Lights PromiseThe beautiful Aurora Borealis is Mother Nature’s ultimate light show. We know that no trip to the Arctic Circle is quite complete without experiencing this highlight at least once on your journey. If the Northern Lights do not appear on your voyage to Norway, we will give you another 6 or 7-day Classic Voyage FREE OF CHARGE.Read more and book
Scandinavian Tour packagesDiscover our range of exclusive tours featuring handpicked Scandinavian experiencesRead more and book
From Norway’s capital Oslo, ride the world’s most famous train, the Flåm Railway, before joining Hurtigruten’s northbound coastal voyage. Visit charming hamlets, sail
through picturesque fjords and see the magnificent Northern Lights on this journey into the heart of Norway. On arrival into the sleepy town of Kirkenes in Norway’s far north, head south into Finnish Lapland where you’ll see the night sky from inside your glass igloo. Then discover Finnish Lakeland, where you’ll stay in beautiful log accommodation. Take in Helsinki, Finland’s capital, and experience a day trip to
medieval Tallinn in Estonia.
- Day 1 Arrive in Oslo
- Day 2 Oslo
- Day 3 Flåm
- Day 4 Bergen
- Day 5 Bergen - Hurtigruten Embarkation
- Day 6 Ålesund
- Day 7 Trondheim
- Day 8 Lofoten Islands
- Day 9 Tromsø
- Day 10 Honningsvåg
- Day 11 Kirkenes – Saariselkä
- Day 12 Saariselkä
- Day 13 Sinettä
- Day 14 Rovaniemi
- Day 15 Rantasalmi
- Day 16 Helsinki
- Day 17 Tallinn
- Day 18 Helsinki
DAY 1 : Arrive in Oslo
Arrive in Oslo, make your own way from the airport or train station to your hotel. Remainder of the day at leisure. In the evening meet the rest of the group and your guide at our welcome dinner. Overnight in Oslo.
DAY 2 : Oslo
After a leisurely breakfast, meet the group in the lobby of the hotel for an Oslo grand city tour including Vigeland Sculpture Park, Historical Museum, Oslo Opera house, Holmenkollen Ski Jump and more. Overnight in Oslo.
DAY 3 : Flåm
After an early breakfast we will start our “Norway In a Nutshell” tour, catching the morning train to Myrdal where we change trains for the famous Flåm Railway, with spectacular fjord views all the way to the beautiful, tiny village of Flåm. Overnight in Flåm.
DAY 4 : Bergen
The day starts with the ferry from Flåm to Gudvangen, passing through the narrow Nærøyfjord. From Gudvangen the journey continues by bus. Waterfalls line the road as we weave our way through the valley to Voss. There we board a train for the last leg of our “Norway in a Nutshell” journey, arriving in Bergen in the afternoon. Rest of the day at leisure. Overnight in Bergen.
DAY 5 : Bergen - Hurtigruten Embarkation
(Day 1 of the voyage)
After a relaxing morning we take a walking tour of Bergen, including St Mary’s Church, Håkon’s Hall and the UNESCO World Heritage listed Bryggen, before heading to Troldhaugen, the home of Norway’s most famous composer, Edvard Grieg. The tour ends at Bergen pier, where we board our Hurtigruten ship. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 6 : Ålesund
(Day 2 of the voyage)
We navigate skerries and islands before reaching Ålesund, renowned for its beautiful Art Nouveau architecture. Leaving Ålesund we head north towards Trondheim. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 7 : Trondheim
(Day 3 of the voyage)
Arrive early in the morning at Trondheim, with plenty of time to explore Norway’s first capital. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 8 : Lofoten Islands
(Day 4 of the voyage)
As we cross the Arctic Circle in the morning, the hunt for the Aurora Borealis begins. We enter the dramatic and narrow Raftsund, and if the weather and ice conditions allow, we’ll sail to the entrance of the famous Trollfjord. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 9 : Tromsø
(Day 5 of the voyage)
After a morning stop in Finnsnes, the ship continues to Tromsø, a major cultural hub above the Arctic Circle, and famed as a viewing point for the Northern Lights. The city’s historic centre is distinguished by its centuriesold wooden houses. The 1965 Arctic Cathedral, with its distinctive peaked roof and soaring stained-glass windows, dominates the skyline. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 10 : Honningsvåg
(Day 6 of the voyage)
Honningsvåg is the nearest port to the North Cape – only 2000km from the geographical North Pole. Overnight on board our ship.
DAY 11 : Kirkenes – Saariselkä
Admire the dramatic coastal vistas as we approach Kirkenes, where we will disembark. Enjoy a short drive through Kirkenes, before arriving at Inari, the Sami capital (traditional nomads of Scandinavia, reindeer herders), where we’ll visit the newly renovated Siida Sami museum and visit a reindeer farm. Overnight in Saariselkä.
DAY 12 : Saariselkä
Today we visit a husky farm and learn about the life and training of these unique Arctic dogs. In the evening there may be optional evening Aurora Borealis tours. Overnight in Saariselkä.
DAY 13 : Sinettä
Today we visit Santa Claus Village, where you will have free time to explore. In the evening, spend the night in a glass igloo. Overnight in Sinettä.
DAY 14 : Rovaniemi
Arrive in Rovaniemi and enjoy free time or optional extra touring options. Overnight in Rovaniemi.
DAY 15 : Rantasalmi
This morning we head for Rantasalmi, enjoying the surrounding scenery as we make our way to the Finnish Lakes district. Early evening arrival and overnight in Rantasalmi.
DAY 16 : Helsinki
Today we leave the Finnish wilderness and head into Helsinki, Finland’s capital. Enjoy a half-day city tour including a visit to the spectacular Temppeliaukio Church, ‘Rock Church’. Overnight in Helsinki.
DAY 17 : Tallinn
An early start with a full day excursion to the medieval town of Tallinn in Estonia. Take the ferry followed by a combined bus and walking tour of the city. Stops will include the baroque Kadriorg Park and the seaside district of Pirita. Walk through the winding, cobblestoned streets of the Old Town continuing to Toompea Castle, home to the Estonian parliament. Visit Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the Dome Church before enjoying some free time before boarding the ferry to return to Helsinki. Tonight, enjoy a special farewell dinner. Overnight in Helsinki.
DAY 18 : Helsinki
After breakfast at the hotel our tour ends.
Included in your voyage
- 4 star accommodation standard
- 11 nights’ hotel accommodation (1 night in glass igloo) & 6 nights’ cruise accommodation
- Luggage service from hotel in Oslo to hotel in Bergen (1 bag per person)
- Luggage service at all hotels (starting with luggage OUT in Oslo, and ending with luggage IN in Helsinki)
- Daily breakfast, 6 lunches
- 11 dinners & 1 x Viking Plank dinner in Flåm
- City tours of Oslo, Bergen, Helsinki & Tallinn
- Return Ferry ticket to Tallinn
- Norway in a Nutshell: Flåm Railway journey and fjord cruise on UNESCO listed Nærøyfjord
- First class coach from Kirkenes to Helsinki
- English speaking guide from start to finish
- Reindeer Farm visit (sled ride, depending on weather)
- Husky Farm visit (sled ride, depending on weather)
- Santa Claus Village visit
- Newly-renovated Siida museum visit
- Temppeliaukio Church & Dome Church visits
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling other than those specified
- Beverages with meals
- Prices are in AU$ per person based on two people travelling together sharing a twin cabin
- Not all cabin categories are available for all departures
- Single cabin pricing available on request
- Hurtigruten has a flexible pricing system and all prices are capacity controlled and subject to availability.
- Northern Lights Promise: If the Northern Lights are not recorded during your Follow The Lights tour, including land component, we’ll offer a free northbound or southbound voyage. T&Cs apply.
EXTEND YOUR STAY
To book a pre- or post-programme hotel stay please contact one of our Expedition Specialists on 1300 322 062.