Starting with a flight from Copenhagen, you arrive late in the evening at the international airport in Kangerlussuaq. After a transfer to the port and embarkation on your expedition ship MS Fridtjof Nansen, we will sail almost the entire length of the fjord (190km) before reaching the open sea.
Sisimiut is the second largest town in Greenland, situated 40 km north of the Arctic Circle. It is a modern, growing settlement with a history that goes back 4,500 years. For example, its name means `The People Living in a Place of Fox Dens´. Visit the museum, shop for handicrafts, or hike in the hills.
IncludedSisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visitSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
City tour by busIf you want to comfortably experience all of Sisimiut in a short amount of time, this sightseeing tour by bus is the perfect excursion for you.
Sisimiut Town WalkSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
Hike to Palasip QaqqaaJoin a challenging summit hike and be rewarded with an amazing panoramic view!
The stunning scenery of the Ilulissat Icefjord has earned it the designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. At the mouth of the fjord you can see enormous icebergs that have run aground. These ice masses originate from the Jakobshavn Glacier, one of the fastest-moving and productive glaciers in the world.
We now arrive at the northernmost point in our itinerary. There are several excellent landing sites in Vaigat Sound offering breathtaking landscape and Arctic flora. Our experienced captain and Expedition Leader will take advantage of the current weather and ice conditions to identify our activity for the day.
On one side of the meandering Evighed Fjord is an ice cap that often crashes massive chunks of ice into the water. Around us are the highest mountains in West Greenland with peaks, up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft.) in height, sometimes swirling with mist. Conditions on the day will determine the final programme and the range of activities on offer by the Expedition Team.
Nuuk is the oldest town in the nation, founded in 1728. It has a beautiful setting, at the mouth of one of most spectacular fjord systems in the world. This is a place where old and new traditions meet, from picturesque old buildings in ”Kolonihaven” to the modern architecture of the Greenland Home Rule structure.
We leave Greenland and head for open sea. We will cross the southern part of the Labrador Sea, sailing towards Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Wind down and watch the waves aboard the ship, or enjoy a lecture from the Expedition Team.
Our first call in Canada is this welcoming town in northern Labrador made up of 360 people from diverse backgrounds and heritage. Visit the White Elephant Museum and learn more about the mixed history here, stroll through the inspiring Poet's Path, or hike along the boardwalk for stunning views of icebergs and the Atlantic Ocean.
Located on Hamilton Inlet and nestled in a sheltered cove at the entrance to Lake Melville, this picturesque town is the southernmost officially recognised Inuit community in the world and we will learn about its unique traditions and history. Minke (known locally as 'grumpus') and humpback whales are also commonly observed in the nearby waters.
Preserved in the ice-cold waters, the remains of several 17th century Basque whaling ships have led to the town being designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Visit the local museum that documents this interesting history or take the trail up to Tracey Hill for scenic views, and where, legends say, pirate captain Kidd buried treasure.
IncludedRed Bay - Red Bay Highlights AccessWant to get a feel for Red Bay’s local culture and history?
Coastal Labrador and Point Amour Lighthouse tourDrive the coastal highway and visit the tallest lighthouse in Atlantic Canada.
Red Bay Then and Now Historical Walking tourStroll through the intriguing village of Red Bay with local guides to provide insight into the history and culture of this remarkable community with a history of whaling.
Located at the mouth of the Bay of Islands and Humber River, Corner Brook is the second largest city in the province and local to the core. Explore the city centre or enjoy its many walking trails along the Humber River, decorated at this time of year with vibrant autumn leaves.
Corner Brook - Gros Morne by MotorcoachExplore the mountains, fjords, and coastal wonders of Gros Morne National Park - a UNESCO World Heritage Site recognized for its unique geology.
Corner Brook - Marble Mountain Zip LineExperience zip lining like never before with an adventure that starts at the top of Steady Brook Falls, just outside of western Newfoundland’s largest town, Corner Brook.
Captain Cook's TrailThis excursion is a scenic exploration of the countryside with a local host who will share historic stories of the region’s rich land and sea.
Corner Brook Trails AdventureEmbrace the spectacular natural beauty of the Corner Brook woodlands during this picturesque hiking excursion.
The adventure is drawing to an end. Spend time with the other guests and the Expedition Team reviewing the many exciting experiences you shared during our voyage together.
Your journey comes to an end in Halifax, capital of Nova Scotia. There are red-brick heritage buildings, parks, a landmark citadel, some world-class museums, and a 4km seafront boardwalk. If you can, we definitely recommend spending extra time exploring here with our Post-Programme before you head home.
Included in your voyage
- Flight in economy class from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq
- Transfer in Kangerlussuaq from airport to the ship
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Sisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visit
Sisimiut - City tour by bus
Sisimiut Town Walk
Sisimiut - Hike to Palasip Qaqqaa
Red Bay - Red Bay Highlights Access
Red Bay - Coastal Labrador and Point Amour Lighthouse tour
Red Bay - Red Bay Then and Now Historical Walking tour
Corner Brook - Gros Morne by Motorcoach
Corner Brook - Marble Mountain Zip Line
Corner Brook - Captain Cook's Trail
Corner Brook Trails Adventure
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.