Circumnavigating Iceland – The Land of Elves, Sagas and Volcanoes (9 days)
Duration: 9 days
Ship: MS Fram
2020: 15 Jun / 23 Jun / 1 Jul / 9 Jul / 17 Jul
Price from : $ 5794 per personCheck prices and availability
- Explore mystical Iceland – the land of fire and ice
- Fascinating nature with waterfalls, volcanoes and glaciers side by side
- A paradise for bird and whale watching
- Circumnavigation - see the entirety of Iceland´s coast
Many visitors find landing at Keflavik airport enchanting. The hub seems carved out of an arctic desert, with lava stones covered in moss and haunting mountains nearby. But just 45 minutes away, Reykjavík is a charming and vibrant modern city, offering top restaurants, interesting museums and quaint narrow streets.
The friendly town of Stykkishólmur has beautiful and well-preserved old houses in the town centre and is surrounded by wonderful scenery. Enjoy exploring the town´s interesting museums or join optional excursions to see the iconic sites of Snæfellsnes Penninsula such as the Lóndrangar basalt cliffs or the black sandy beaches of Djúpalónssandur.
Patreksfjördur is a charming settlement on the west coast of Iceland with around 660 inhabitants. The picturesque fjord offers scenic hiking trails if conditions allow. Patreksfjördur is also close to the spectacular waterfall of Dynjandi and to Látrabjarg, a renowned site for birdwatching.
Our experienced captain will plan a day exploring the stunning fjords of northwest Iceland.
Conditions will determine the final program and activity for the day. We might visit a small settlement, take you on hikes or launch our kayaks.
Akureyri is a lively town, famous for its botanical gardens and pretty traffic lights. it is the most populous community outside Reykjavík, and serves as the centre of trade, culture and services for the north of Iceland. Akureyri is close to many of Iceland’s most renowned natural treasures, such as lake Mývatn and Goðafoss waterfall.
We will use our tender boats to reach this green and grassy island. It is probably best known for its proximity to the Arctic Circle, which cuts across the island. You can have the chance to step across that line, North to South.
Bakkagerdi is the main settlement in Borgarfjörður. This area is known for its natural beauty and is `the land of the elves´. Puffin colonies abound in the fjord, making this a popular place for birdwatching. Bakkagerdi is off the typical tourist track, and offers peace, quiet and lovely views.
Heimaey, or “Home Island” welcomes us for our visit. The harbour has a very narrow entrance, caused by a volcanic eruption in 1973. Most of the island has steep cliffs, is well-vegetated and provides a habitat for countless birds, including the charming puffin.
Our voyage of discovery and adventure ends in Reykjavik. If you have the time, we recommend you stay a few extra days to explore fascinating Reykjavik.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.