Disko Bay – The Heart of Greenland
- Combine an exploration of pristine Greenlandic nature with fascinating Inuit culture
- Begin and end in Iceland - a great opportunity to explore further
- The Midnight Sun ensures long days to discover Greenland´s beauty
- Voyage to lovely Disko Bay
- Day 1 Reykjavik, Iceland - Embarkation
- Day 2-3 At sea
- Day 4 Qaqortoq
- Day 5 Kvanefjord area
- Day 6 Maniitsoq
- Day 7 Sisimiut
- Day 8 Ilulissat
- Day 9 Camp Frieda
- Day 10 Evighed Fjord (Eternal Fjord)
- Day 11 Nuuk
- Day 12 Ivittuut
- Day 13 Prins Christian Sund Region
- Day 14-15 Irminger Sea - Denmark Strait
- Day 16 Reykjavik, Iceland - Disembarkation
Reykjavik is the world’s northernmost capital city. Norse settlers named the place Reykjavik (meaning 'Smoky Bay') after the columns of steam that rose from the hot springs in the area. The surroundings offer fantastic natural beauty with geysers, mountains, glaciers and geothermal baths that are well worth exploring before embarking on MS Fridtjof Nansen.
We leave Iceland behind and sail across the Irminger Sea. This crossing was used by the Vikings to migrate from Iceland to Greenland some 1,000 years ago.
Enjoy introductory lectures on local history and biology and get to know with our innovative expedition ship.
Many consider Qaqortoq one of the most beautiful towns in Greenland for its colourful houses and lovely setting. The biggest town in South Greenland, with some 3.000 inhabitants, Qaqortoq is easy to explore on foot, or you can join one of our excursions to get even more insight into local culture.
IncludedQaqortoq - Great Lake WalkQaqortoq rises quite steeply over the surrounding fjord system and is best discovered on foot, which says something about its small size
Qaqortoq - KaffemikTake part in a traditional Greenlandic kaffemik, where a local family serves a large selection of specialty food dishes. And of course, a pot of coffee. This is an authentic experience, which lets you learn more about living like a Greenlander.
Great Greenland TanneryVisit Great Greenland, the only tannery in Greenland, and see how hides and furs are processed. You will also learn about the old hunting traditions, which are an important part of Greenlandic culture.
We discover the beautiful region of Kvanefjord near Paamiut by sailing deep into the fjord on this exploration day. Our experienced captain will take advantage of the conditions to identify landing sites for onshore walks, locate places to launch our kayaks, scout ideal communities to visit, or find the best spots to scan for wildlife.
Maniitsoq was founded in 1755 and its name means `The uneven place´. referring to the rocky hills and mountains shaping the layout of the town. It is also known as the `Venice of Greenland´ as it is situated in an archipelago, intersected by natural canals.
The local museum provides an introduction to the town´s rich history and culture.
Sisimiut is situated 40 km north of the Arctic Circle. The name means `the people living in a place where there are fox dens´. This is the second largest town in Greenland, a modern, picturesque settlement that maintains ancient traditions. We offer a variety of exciting excursions to discover the many things to do in Sisimiut.
IncludedSisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visitSisimiut is Greenland's second largest town with approximately 5.500 inhabitants. That's almost 4 times smaller than the Capital, Nuuk.
City tour by busIf you want to comfortably experience all of Sisimiut in a short amount of time, this sightseeing tour by bus is the perfect excursion for you.
Hike to Palasip QaqqaaJoin a challenging summit hike and be rewarded with an amazing panoramic view!
Ilulissat is set in the stunning scenery of the Ilulissat Icefjord World Heritage Site. At the mouth of the fjord you can see enormous icebergs that have run aground. These ice masses originate from the Jakobshavn Glacier, one of the fastest glaciers in the world. Join one of our many excursions here.
IncludedIlulissat - Walk to the IcefjordsHear the ice cracking in the distance?
Ilulissat - Boat trip to the Ice FjordIlulissat is renowned for its beautiful and breathtaking Ice Fjord - best experienced from a boat. Get close to nature and experience the ice that leaves visitors speechless in wonder.
Ilulissat City walkLearn more about Greenlandic culture and history on this walk.
Ilulissat - Hike to Holms BakkeHike through spectacular surroundings as we take you to Holms Bakke – a traditional hiking trip for locals. Experience Inuit culture, see incredible icebergs and learn about local flora and fauna.
We visit a location near Saqqaq that was without an official name until 2013. The place is special to us, as it has been named after one of our former Expedition Team members. We land at the beach to explore this most northerly destination of our voyage, in breathtaking landscape and Arctic flora.
Today´s exploration will take us to the meandering Evighed Fjord, surrounded by tall mountains (up to 2,000 m (6,600 ft.) in height. Conditions of the day will determine the final program and the range of activities we will offer.
Nuuk is situated at the mouth of one of the most spectacular fjord systems in the world. The capital city is where old and new traditions meet, from historic buildings in `Kolonihavnen´ to the modern Centre for Greenland Self Rule. Another feature is the National Museum - home to the famous mummies of Qilakitsoq.
IncludedNuuk - Shuttle & Museum visitVisit the National Museum of Greenland
Cultural history walkDon’t miss this opportunity to see some of the most interesting places in Greenland´s capital city of Nuuk! Join a sightseeing tour of the town before you visit the National Museum, providing a glimpse into Greenland’s interesting past.
Lille Malene HikePut on your hiking boots and join the expedition team on a hiking adventure through beautiful Greenlandic nature!
Nuuk City tourExplore Greenland´s interesting capital city by coach! Nuuk is a cosmopolitan town in the high Arctic, offering you both beautiful nature and an urban vibe.
The abandoned town of Ivittuut is a stronghold for musk oxen. More than a thousand years ago, Vikings settled the area, but left no written records behind. Archaeologists believe this was the last Norse settlement in Greenland to be established, and the first to be abandoned.
Prince Christian Sound separates mainland Greenland from Sammisoq and the Cape Farewell Archipelago. If conditions allow, we will sail through this narrow channel and enjoy the spectacular scenery here. If the channel is blocked with ice, we will sail around Nunap Isua (Cape Farewell).
After exploring exhilarating Greenland, we set course back to Iceland. Spend the days at sea recapping your experiences, having fun in the Science center or just relaxing on deck, looking at the sea birds which follow our ship or maybe even spotting whales.
You arrive in the Icelandic capital early in the morning. If you want to explore more of the country, add one of our Post-Programmes before you head home, or stay longer to enjoy the city and its surroundings.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including small boat cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, long hikes (availability pending weather conditions and safety)
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Some expedition cruises may include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
Qaqortoq - Great Lake Walk
Qaqortoq - Kaffemik
Qaqortoq - Great Greenland Tannery
Sisimiut - Kayak Demo and Museum visit
Sisimiut - City tour by bus
Sisimiut - Hike to Palasip Qaqqaa
Ilulissat - Walk to the Icefjords
Ilulissat - Boat trip to the Icefjord
Ilulissat - Ilulissat city walk
Ilulissat - Hike to Holms Bakke
Nuuk - Shuttle & Museum visit
Nuuk - Cultural history walk
Nuuk - Lille Malene hike
Nuuk - Nuuk City tour
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Reykjavik Pre-programme: Golden Circle Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
The Icelandic Highlands: Pre-Programme for Nature Lovers (20/21 and 21/22)
Reykjavik Post-programme: South Coast (20/21 and 21/22)
Sailing with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- MS Fridtjof Nansen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board