- Day 1 San José, Costa Rica
- Day 2 Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- Day 3 San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
- Day 4 Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua
- Day 5 Acajutla, El Salvador
- Day 6 Puerto Chiapas, Mexico
- Day 7 Huatulco, Mexico
- Day 8-9 At Sea
- Day 10 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Day 11 At Sea
- Day 12 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Day 13-14 At Sea
- Day 15 San Diego, USA
This capital city, affectionately known as ‘Chepe’, offers several parks and museums to explore. Tour art galleries in Barrio Amón and dine out at top restaurants in Barrio Escalante before spending the night at your hotel. Arrange to arrive early for a Pre-Programme to a beautiful resort close to Manuel Antonio National Park.
After breakfast, we join a boat tour on the Tárcoles River. The mangrove forests here nest over 250 different bird species, including the scarlet macaw. Safe aboard the boat, you might also get good views of wild crocodiles on the riverbanks, some up to 15-feet long. We continue to Puntarenas where MS Roald Amundsen awaits.
This once sleepy fishing village is known for its crescent-shaped bay, rolling green hills, fresh seafood restaurants, and laidback surfer lifestyle. Relax on the beach, visit a 1500-year-old petroglyph near the river or hike to Cristo de la Misericordia, a 25-metre-tall statue that promises picturesque views over the town and beach.
IncludedSan Juan Del Sur - Experience Colorful Grenada & School VisitExperience the beauty of Nicaragua on this a lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, located on the shore of Lake Nicaragua.
San Juan Del Sur - Masaya Volcano & Catarina View PointBe amazed by the still-active volcano at Masaya Volcano National Park and enjoy an amazing view of the Apoyo Lagoon at the Catarina view point.
An hour’s shuttle bus from Puerto Corinto is the former capital of Nicaragua, Leon. Immerse in history at the Museo Histórico de la Revolución and walk the city’s revolution-related street murals. Visit Basílica de la Asunción, the largest cathedral in Central America, and go up to the roof for views of the city and surrounding volcanos.
Originally a Mayan village, Acajutla has developed into El Salvador’s main port for exporting coffee. Visit Los Cabanos beach for great seafood and friendly locals. The 157km-long coral reef is also a perfect location for snorkeling and other water activities. In the distance, there are views of Izalco Volcano, once known as the ‘Lighthouse of the Pacific’.
After souvenir shopping at the port’s crafts market, we take a 30-minute shuttle bus to cosmopolitan Tapachula. Thanks to the region’s premium coffee and cocoa plantations, Mayan, Mestizo, and Spanish cultures have merged with immigrant German, Chinese, and French influences. Visit lively Parque Hidalgo which enjoys views of 4100-metre-high Volcán Tacaná to the north.
With its nine scenic bays, 36 pristine beaches, sheltered coves, and rich marine life including four sea turtle species, it’s easy to see why Huatulco has become a haven for ecological tourism and sustainable snorkelling. Hike through protected forest to a deserted beach or visit a coffee plantation for a tour on how this ‘liquid gold’ is produced.
Days at sea can be spent in full relaxation mode, attending interesting lectures delivered by the Expedition Team, and enjoying the fresh sea air out on deck while keeping a look-out for wildlife. You can also still keep active by taking advantage of our Yoga and Wellness programme. There are early morning 1-mile walks on deck and special stress-releasing stretching sessions. Join workshops on how to achieve physical and mental wellbeing by unblocking barriers to your internal energy, or let our massage therapists work their magic to soften any aches and strains.
Based along Bahía de Banderas, Puerto Vallarta is one of Mexico's premier coastal destinations. The Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe is an endearing downtown landmark while the boardwalk at El Malecón features sculptures created by local and international artists. Bargain hunt at the two large public markets or drop in at the botanical gardens and zoo.
As we continue along the Mexican Pacific coast, spend this sea day at your leisure. Take advantage of the many onboard facilities, relax and meditate with a yoga workshop, or join in on lectures as we recap our voyage so far and prepare you for the days to come.
Situated at the southern tip of Baja California where the Sea of Cortés meets the Pacific Ocean, Los Cabos peninsula is a mixture of desert and coastal landscapes. Visit Playa del Amor at Land’s End where arching rocks form the photogenic El Arco. You might also see cardón cacti, caracara birds, sea lions, rays, and sharks.
Enjoy two more pleasant days at sea as we make our way further north. The Expedition Team will recap the voyage before we arrive at our final destination of San Diego. Spend time on deck looking for birds or dolphins following the ship. If weather allows, we will continue our yoga and meditation programme out on deck.
San Diego is described as `America’s Finest City´ thanks to its laid-back vibe, more than 60 beautiful beaches, the museums of Balboa Park, the Latin-inspired food and architecture, and possibly America’s best weather. We highly recommend booking a Pre-Programme to explore more of what this city and its surroundings offer before returning home.
Included in your voyage
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Overnight in San José, including breakfast before the expedition cruise
- Transfer from the hotel to the ship in Puntarenas, including a Jungle Boat Tour and lunch
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurants Aune and Fredheim
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, infinity pool, panoramic sauna, outdoor and indoor gyms, and outdoor running track
- Yoga and meditation sessions with an instructor
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- Optional treatments in the onboard wellness and spa area
- All planned activities are subject to weather conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- On this trip, a vaccine against yellow fever is required. The vaccination must be done at least 10 days before departure. Please bring the vaccination certificate on your voyage. For details, please see entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
MS Roald Amundsen
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
In 2019, Hurtigruten added a brand new ship to its fleet: the MS Roald Amundsen. The state of the art vessel features new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology that will reduce fuel consumption and show the world that hybrid propulsion on large ships is possible.
Some expedition cruises include excursions that can be reserved for no additional charge. These included excursions can often be combined with other excursions available in port.
Please note excursions are subject to change and are not yet available for booking for departures after March 2021.
San Juan Del Sur - Experience Colorful Grenada & School Visit
San Juan Del Sur – Masaya Volcano & Catarina View Point
Sailing with MS Roald Amundsen
- MS Roald Amundsen: Life on board and Practical information
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Young Explorers’ Programme: Bring your kids on board