Antarctica – Exploring the Frozen Continent
- Enjoy ten full days of adventure in Antarctica
- Be one of the few who venture as far south as the Antarctic Circle
- Chance to see incredible wildlife: penguins, whales, seals, albatross and many more
- Explore with ice-cruising, landings and more led by our Expedition Team
This adventure starts with an overnight stay in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover `Paris of South America´ for yourself on a warm spring/summer day or extend your stay by an optional pre-programme to explore Wild Patagonia.
Fly early in the morning to Ushuaia, where MS Fridtjof Nansen awaits. Once on board, we kick off our journey with a Welcome dinner.
Our Expedition Team will prepare you for your intense polar exploration with fascinating lectures and presentations in the Science Center. On the way to Antarctica, we cross the Antarctic Convergence, where two oceans meet, creating nutrient-rich seas that attract marine and avian life. Keep a sharp eye out for wildlife from deck.
Welcome to the most remote area on earth! Our Expedition Team will lead you on ice-cruising and landings to come ashore to explore the breathtaking Antarctic scenery and come closer to penguins, seals and ice.
Antarctica inspires awe. Ninety per cent of the world´s ice is here, 4,000 metres thick in some places. In winter, sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, it is a fertile breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
The ten days of our exploration ensure an unforgettable Antarctica experience with lots of landings and activities.
This is true wilderness, so our experienced captain will work with the elements to create the best possible itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We aim to land as often as possible, on the South Shetland Islands and on the Antarctic Peninsula, and to sail through the world-famous Lemaire Channel before we venture further south to Marguerite Bay to cross the legendary Antarctic Circle.
Every moment in Antarctica is full of rich experiences. There are icebergs of every shape and colour, magnificent glaciers, vast horizons and astonishing encounters with fearless wildlife.
An expedition cruise here is an amazing experience that is hard to sum up in a few short words. As a well-known quote from veteran Antarctic travellers puts it: “If you can describe Antarctica with words, you have probably never been there.”
After exploring this exhilarating continent, we set course back to civilisation. Spend the day at sea recapping your experiences, having fun and learning in the Science Center or enjoying the many onboard amenities.
Our expedition cruise ends as we reach Ushuaia, and we transfer you to the airport for your flight back to Buenos Aires. For more adventure, you can extend your stay and enjoy our optional Post-programmes.
Included in your voyage
- Hurtigruten Expedition Cruise in cabin grade of your choice
- One hotel night in Buenos Aires before the voyage including breakfast
- Transfer hotel to airport in Buenos Aires
- Return economy flights Buenos Aires to Ushuaia
- Transfers in Ushuaia including one orientation tour
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including ice-cruising and onshore exploration with the Expedition Team
- Professional English-speaking Expedition Team - an international handpicked team of highly educated experts of various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind- and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment neededfor optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science programme, with educational and Citizen Science activities that let you learn about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introduction photo lecture, camera adjustment and tips & tricks, photo and film footage from the voyage shared in an Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the Expedition Team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatheringsto recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the Expedition Team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (ship beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all restaurants)
- Fredheim restaurant meals included
- A la carte restaurant (only for suite guests)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Rejuvenating wellness areas with separate treatment rooms, infinity pool, outdoor gym, running track
- Gym, hot tubs and panoramic sauna
- Free Wi-fi on board for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
Not included in your voyage
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our Expedition Team such as kayaking, camping, glacier walks, long hikes (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Optional small-group Explorer Photo programme with our Expedition Photographer
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Medical questionnaire mandatory. Read all Entry requirements for your travel
MS Fridtjof Nansen
|Shipyard||Kleven Yards, Norway|
|Passenger capacity||530 (500 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||20 889 T|
MS Fridtjof Nansen is the latest addition to Hurtigruten’s fleet of custom built ships – and the next generation expedition ship. She will explore some of the most spectacular corners of the globe.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Ushuaia Pre-excursion: Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires - Pre-programme Wild Patagonia 20/21
Buenos Aires - Post-programme Iguazu Falls 20/21
Ushuaia Post Excursion - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana (20/21 and 21/22)
Before you travel with MS Fridtjof Nansen
- Antarctica Travel Guide
- Antarctica: Frequently Asked Questions
- What to pack for Explorer voyages
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Entry requirements for your travel