After your flight from Australia or New Zealand, arrive in Buenos Aires and be transferred to your hotel. The rest of the day is at your leisure.
Enjoy a day in Buenos Aires, the bustling capital of Argentina. Spend the evening at your leisure and discover `Paris of South America´ for yourself on a warm spring or summer day.
Fly early in the morning to Ushuaia, where MS Fram awaits. Once on board, we kick off our journey with a welcome dinner.
We cross the open sea towards the Falkland Islands. Enjoy our in-depth lectures and keep an eye out for wildlife from deck.
We spend two days cruising to beautiful South Georgia. En route you can participate in lectures about the area’s wildlife, whaling and polar history. Our Expedition Team is well-versed in every facet of South Georgia, from its geology and glaciology to the mating rituals of seals and the legends of the Norwegian whalers. One of the fascinating stories that will be told is that of Sir Ernest Shackleton, the men of the ill-fated Endurance, and their amazing feats of bravery. You’ll also learn how to make your visit as safe and as sustainable as possible and you’ll join Citizen Science programmes to help collect data for current scientific research.
We explore the thriving ecosystem and rich history of South Georgia. The area is known as the Serengeti of the Southern Ocean and is a world-famous location for wildlife photographers.
South Georgia’s unique position inside the Antarctic ecosystem - yet outside the limit of sea ice - makes an ideal home for tens of millions of breeding penguins, seals and seabirds. During our stay here, you will see adult seals lounge on the sand while their pups race in and out of the water, albatross soar overhead, and penguins cluster in their thousands. Enjoy the sight of hanging glaciers, cliffs, and scenic lagoons.
You will also visit a museum, the Norwegian seaman’s church, and the grave of explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton. South Georgia also offers good hiking, and one of our favourite trails follows part of Shakleton´s route on his brave journey across rugged mountains to find help for the 22 men left on isolated Elephant Island.
As we continue towards Antarctica you can learn more about the wonders of the Deep South, focusing on the history, environment and wildlife of the region. Using the state-of-the-art microscopes in the ship’s Science Center, you can also analyse samples taken during the expedition cruise to see another kind of ‘wildlife’ at the cellular level.
Antarctica is wilderness on a massive scale. It is home to 90 per cent of the world´s ice, reaching up to 4,000 metres in thickness. Winter sea ice virtually doubles the size of the continent. In summer, Antarctica is a breeding ground for millions of penguins, whales and seals.
As outlined in the Antarctic Treaty, this is a continent dedicated to peace, science and tourism. No human activity permitted that can alter the perfect natural balance that has evolved through millennia without interference. That´s why we follow very strict environmental guidelines and rules. We want to leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but pictures!
Our Captain and Expedition Team will take advantage of the often-ideal conditions to take you ice-cruising, and to come ashore on landings for exciting activities. You may have the chance to kayak the icy waters in the company of whales, hike or even camp on the world´s most isolated continent.
On our way back to civilisation, we will continue our lecture series and recap our experiences of Antarctica. The voyage from the Antarctic Peninsula to Ushuaia at the southern tip of Argentina is roughly 950 km (600 miles) or 40 hours of sailing time in good weather.
We make landfall in Tierra del Fuego. Your expedition cruise ends in the world’s southernmost town, Ushuaia, and your journey back continues with a flight to Buenos Aires. Upon arrival from your charter flight you will be transferred to your hotel for an overnight stay.
Enjoy a day at leisure in Buenos Aires before being transferred to the airport for your flight back to Australia or New Zealand
Included in your voyage
- 2 overnights in Buenos Aires before the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- 1 overnight in Buenos Aires after the expedition cruise, including breakfast
- Round-trip flights in economy class from selected cities in Australia or New Zeland to Buenos Aires
- Round-trip flights in economy class between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Round-trip transfers from Buenos Aires airport to the hotel in Buenos Aires before and after the expedition cruise
- Round-trip transfers from the hotel in Buenos Aires to Buenos Aires airport before and after the expedition cruise
- Round-trip transfers between Ushuaia airport and the ship
- Expedition cruise in a cabin of your choice
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner including beverages (house beer and wine, sodas, and mineral water) in restaurant Aune
- À la carte restaurant Lindstrøm included for suite guests
- Complimentary tea and coffee
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- Complimentary reusable water bottle to use at water refill stations on board
- English-speaking Expedition Team who organise and accompany activities on board and ashore
- Range of included excursions
- Experts on the Expedition Team deliver in-depth lectures on a variety of topics
- Use of the ship’s Science Center which has an extensive library and advanced biological and geological microscopes
- Citizen Science programme allows guests to assist with live scientific research
- Professional onboard photographer gives top tips and tricks for the best landscape and wildlife photos
- Use of the ship’s hot tubs, panoramic sauna, indoor gym
- Informal gatherings with the crew such as daily recaps and preparation for the day to come
- Escorted landings with small expedition boats while in Antarctica
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and all equipment for activities
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant expedition jacket
- Expedition Photographers help with your camera settings before landings
Not included in your voyage
- Travel insurance
- Luggage handling
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group activities with our Expedition Team
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
- Excursions and activities are subject to change
- Medical questionnaire is mandatory
- Please ensure you meet all visa entry requirements
- No gratuities expected
- Departure Cities: SYD/MEL/BNE/AKL/CHC. Other departure cities available with a $300 per person supplement: ADL/PER/CNS/DRW/HBA/LST/WLG/CBR. Contact our team after you make a booking to add this supplement
|Year of refurbishment||2020|
|Passenger capacity||318 (200 in Antarctica)|
|Gross tonnage||11 647 T|
The original Fram was the most famous explorer ship of its time, and the achievements of her expeditions are unparalleled. MS Fram brings on the heritage of the original Fram, using the most advanced technology to make her exceptionally well suited for expedition voyages in Polar Regions.
Extend your cruise
Get more out of your journey by adding a Pre- or Post-programme before or after your expedition cruise.
Buenos Aires: Post-programme Iguazu Falls (21/22)
Buenos Aires - Estancia Santa Susana (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires: Pre-programme Wild Patagonia (21/22)
Buenos Aires City Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Dinner & Tango Show (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Post-excursion: Tigre Delta Tour (20/21 and 21/22)
Buenos Aires Pre-excursion: Trendy Buenos Aires (20/21 and 21/22)
Ushuaia Pre-excursion: Tierra del Fuego National Park in Ushuaia (20/21 and 21/22)
Ushuaia Post Excursion - Scenic drive and hiking at the end of the world (20/21 and 21/22)
Sailing with MS Fram
- Practical Information: Expedition Cruises with MS Fram
- Meet our Expedition Teams
- Landing sites in Antarctica